Special Services

The Special Services Department in Hudson New Hampshire provides quality instructional services to students who require special education, are age 3 through 21 and have not yet received a regular high school diploma.  School teams are charged to work hand in hand with parents to determine if students are in need of special education services and if so to determine what services may be required to facilitate student progress within the general curriculum.  It is a federal requirement that that to the maximum extent appropriate, children with disabilities are educated alongside their non-disabled peers.   Teams work together to develop appropriate Individualized Education Plans to be implemented in the Least Restrictive Environment in accordance with IDEIA and the New Hampshire Standards for the education of children with disabilities. 

Some students with disabilities require accommodations under section 504.  Under this provision, an individual with a disability is a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; has a record of such an impairment; or is regarded as having such an impairment.   The question of whether a student requires an accommodation plan under section 504 is determined on a case-by-case basis in the context of a 504 team.

The Special Services Department also oversees implementation of the provisions prescribed under the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act.  This act is federal legislation supporting educational stability for children who are experiencing homelessness. 

If you suspect that your child may be in need of any of these services, please reach out to your child’s teacher or school counselor.

2020 NHDOE Indicator 8 Special Education Family Survey

The New Hampshire Department of Education has launched the 2020 NHDOE Indicator 8 Special Education Family Survey online. The survey will remain open through June 30th, 2020. Please make every effort to participate.

The DOE has created two easy-to-use links based on the target audiences: K-12 families and Preschool families.

When you access either of those links, you will see a dropdown menu of districts.

Please choose the Hudson School District and complete the survey for each student with an IEP. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to SAU Special Services office at 883-7765, ext. 85013.

Thank you for your time and attention for this survey.